Reliance Industries chairman and managing director Mukesh Ambani on Monday received a death threat email for a ransom of Rs 400 Crore on Monday, marking the third one in the series of threats sent in the past 4 days.
Ambani, one of the richest businessmen in the world, has been receiving threat mails since October 27 from a single email ID. All threat emails made a ransom demand, the officials said.
The first threat received on Friday. sought Rs 20 crore as ransom. Another email received a day later threatened that Ambani would be shot dead if he did not pay Rs 200 crore to the sender, a Mumbai police official said.
Officials said all the three emails have been sent from the same email ID and the sender has been identified as Shadab Khan. The emails were sent from Belgium, the officials said.
Officials are now probing the authenticity of the email ID, with speculation that the emails may have been sent through a fraudulent identity. They are also trying to liaise with the Belgian email service providers to get further information regarding the said email address.
An FIR was lodged in the matter on Saturday at the Gamdevi police station based on a complaint by the industrialist's security in charge.
A case was registered under Indian Penal Code (IPC) sections 387 (putting a person in fear of death or of grievous hurt in order to commit extortion) and 506 (2) (criminal intimidation) and a hunt is underway to nab the accused.
Last year, the Mumbai police had arrested a man from Bihar's Darbhanga for making death threat calls to Mukesh Ambani and his family members. He had also threatened to blow up the Sir H N Reliance Foundation Hospital in Mumbai.