One bite of butter chicken kills 27-year-old man in UK

Joseph Higginson, a 27-year-old mechanic from England, died after having just one mouthful of butter chicken gravy from a takeaway. The chicken curry had nuts and was labelled so. Higginson had been diagnosed with anaphylaxis, a life-threatening allergic reaction. He died from a nut-induced allergy.
One bite of butter chicken kills 27-year-old man in UK
Anjali Raj / Jaano Junction

A 27-year-old man from England died after having just one mouthful of butter chicken curry from a takeaway. The man collapsed and suffered a cardiac arrest after eating just one mouthful at home during the meal.

Joseph Higginson, from Bury, Greater Manchester, England, had a known allergy to nuts and almonds, called anaphylaxis. It is a life-threatening allergic reaction.

Higginson, a mechanic, had tucked into the butter chicken curry which "clearly indicated" that it contained almonds with the correct allergy information as he had previously eaten nut-based dishes and tolerated them, according to the digital news portal the Mirror.

Despite having previously consumed nut-based dishes without problems, Higginson suffered a fatal reaction after just one mouthful of butter chicken curry containing almonds.

Police investigated after his death, but found no fault on the part of the takeaway.

His sister, Emily Higginson, emphasised the importance of taking allergies seriously, stating, "People with allergies should always take the situation seriously. It is not something that can be taken for granted - the severity can change throughout a person's lifetime."

EMERGENCY ALLERGY RESPONSE AND LOSS

Higginson had been diagnosed with allergies just months before his death and was equipped with an EpiPen, a device used to counter allergic reactions.

He collapsed at home during a family meal on December 28, 2022, and despite efforts to resuscitate him, he passed away on January 4 the following year at the Royal Bolton Hospital.

Pathologist Dr Philip Lumb confirmed that Joseph had suffered an "immediate allergic reaction" upon consuming the curry, with almonds identified as the likely trigger.

The menu had clearly stated the presence of almonds in the dish, indicating that Joseph was aware of the allergen.

Also Read
Biden's need for weed for 2024 presidential polls
One bite of butter chicken kills 27-year-old man in UK

Emily expressed gratitude to those involved in Joseph's care and emphasised his generous spirit, noting, "He has donated his heart as per his wishes and a kidney. We know they are alive and well and that the transplants were successful."

Source: India Today

Stay connected to Jaano Junction on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Koo. Listen to our Podcast on Spotify or Apple Podcasts.

Related Stories

No stories found.
logo
Jaano Junction
www.jaanojunction.com