Former Chief Justice of India DY Chandrachud 
News रेल

Top court seeks removal of DY Chandrachud from official home, writes to government

Supreme Court administration writes to the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, seels removal of former Chief Justice of India, Justice DY Chandrachud from official residence.

JJ News Desk

The Supreme Court administration has formally written to the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, urging immediate action to vacate Bungalow No. 5, Krishna Menon Marg, currently occupied by former Chief Justice of India, Justice DY Chandrachud.

According to the Supreme Court administration, Justice Chandrachud has continued to occupy the official residence beyond the permitted period. Under Rule 3B of the 2022 Supreme Court Judges Rules, a retired Chief Justice is allowed to retain official accommodation for up to six months post-retirement.

The letter mentions that the six-month period expired on May 10, 2025. Additionally, a special retention permission that had been granted further lapsed on May 31, 2025.

The administration informed that the bungalow is part of the official Supreme Court house pool and should now be returned for reallocation.

The letter, which was submitted to the Housing Ministry, calls for the possession of the bungalow to be taken from Justice Chandrachud "without any further delay."

"I am to request you to take the possession of Bungalow No. 5, Krishna Menon Marg, from Hon'ble Dr. Justice DY Chandrachud without any further delay as not only the permission that was granted for retention... has expired on 31st May, 2025, but also the period of six months provided in Rule 3B of the 2022 Rules has expired on 10th May, 2025," says the letter from a Supreme Court official to ministry's secretary dated July 1.

Source: India Today

Stay connected to Jaano Junction on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Koo. Listen to our Podcast on Spotify or Apple Podcasts.

Datia Stays with Congress as Ghanshyam Singh Outpaces BJP Candidate Ashutosh Tiwari

Prashant Kishor Wins First Election from BJP Bastion Bankipur, Says Bihar Wants Better Leadership

US Attacks Iran's Bandar Abbas, Then A 'Uranium' Warning From Trump

‘Enriched Uranium Will Be Destroyed’: Donald Trump Claims Major Progress In US-Iran Talks

US Destroys 6 Iranian Small Boats, Shoots Down Missiles And Drones