UAE authorities issue a missile-threat alert, urging residents to seek shelter and follow official safety instructions amid rising regional tensions. Image Courtesy: Viator
Geo-Politics / अंतरराष्ट्रीय

‘Potential Missile Threats’: UAE Issues Safety Alert, Asks People to Seek Shelter

Authorities have issued an urgent safety advisory amid heightened regional tensions, urging residents to move to secure locations, remain indoors, stay away from windows and exposed areas, and closely follow official instructions while security agencies monitor potential missile threats and assess any developments.

JJ News Desk

The United Arab Emirates has issued its first major missile-threat warning in months, urging residents to remain in safe locations after authorities said air-defence systems detected a potential missile threat targeting the country. The alert comes amid renewed tensions in the Middle East and a day after an interim memorandum between Iran and the United States expired.

The UAE Interior Ministry separately urged people, citing the “current situation” and potential missile threats, to move to the nearest secure building. The Emirati Defence Ministry also confirmed that a potential missile threat had been detected.

The latest development comes after the UAE said Iran had attacked an Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) vessel while it was transiting the Strait of Hormuz. Abu Dhabi subsequently called on Tehran to stop what it described as unprovoked attacks, end hostilities and restore full access through the strategic waterway.

The UAE was among the Gulf states significantly affected when the wider Middle East conflict began on February 28. According to figures cited by the UAE, nearly 3,000 missiles and drones were directed towards the country during the escalation. Abu Dhabi reported no attacks after an interim understanding between Washington and Tehran came into effect in June, although the wider arrangement later collapsed.

US President Donald Trump and Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian signed the 14-point memorandum on June 17 with the stated objective of ending months of military confrontation. The agreement sought an immediate halt to military operations and called for the eventual permanent termination of hostilities, including in Lebanon.

The MoU left several complex issues, including Iran’s nuclear programme, for later negotiations. It envisioned a final agreement within 60 days, with the possibility of an extension by mutual consent.

Iran, meanwhile, was expected to clear mines from the Strait of Hormuz and allow ships to transit without charges for 60 days. Tehran also reaffirmed that it would not acquire or develop nuclear weapons and would maintain the existing status quo.

Stay connected to Jaano Junction on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Koo. Listen to our Podcast on Spotify or Apple Podcasts.

Delhi government announces early winter break in schools as air quality turns 'severe' again

'Uncontrolled Re-entry': Part of Chandrayaan-3's Launch Vehicle Enters Earth's Atmosphere, Says ISRO

Prashant Kishor Wins First Election from BJP Bastion Bankipur, Says Bihar Wants Better Leadership

TikTok Banned In Nepal Over Alleged Promotion Of Hate Speech: Here's What Happened

4 dead, 24 injured after bus falls on railway track in Rajasthan