Reports suggest that the United States and Iran are on the verge of military action.  
Geo-Politics / अंतरराष्ट्रीय

Amid Iran tensions, US deploys largest air power in Middle East since Iraq invasion

The US has deployed its largest air force in the Middle East since 2003 amid rising tensions with Iran. This move raises concerns over potential imminent American strikes and regional instability.

JJ News Desk

As tensions rise between the United States and Iran, and amid reports of imminent American strikes, Washington is reportedly deploying a significant number of fighter jets and support aircraft to the Middle East. Officials have described the move as the largest concentration of American air power in the region since the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

According to reports, the military build-up includes multiple squadrons of advanced fighter jets -- F-35s, F-22s, F-15s and F-16s. Command-and-control aircraft, crucial for coordinating large-scale air operations, are also inbound, while key air defence systems have been deployed to the region in recent weeks. Additional fighter aircraft are on their way, the Wall Street Journal reported.

The US Navy currently has 13 ships in the Middle East and the eastern Mediterranean Sea to support a potential operation, including the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and nine destroyers capable of defending against ballistic missiles. A second aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford, along with the four destroyers in its strike group, is also en route.

The deployment and threat of a potential attack come amid ongoing nuclear talks, with diplomatic efforts still underway. Both sides have indicated that some progress has been made in the discussions. Broadly, US President Donald Trump wants Iran to abandon its nuclear programme, while Iran has firmly refused, insisting that it is not attempting to develop an atomic weapon.

American broadcaster CNN reported that the US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this weekend, although Trump has yet to make a final decision on whether to authorise such action. Top US national security advisers who met in the White House Situation Room to discuss Iran were informed that all American forces being deployed to the region are expected to be in place by mid-March.

US officials who spoke to the media said that Trump has received multiple briefings outlining his military options should he choose to launch a strike, with each plan designed to maximise damage to Iran’s regime and its regional proxies.

Meanwhile, Iran has consistently sought to downplay US military threats, asserting that it is prepared for any level of confrontation. The country conducted naval drills this week in the Strait of Hormuz and is set to hold joint naval exercises with Russia on Thursday, even as it continues to pursue diplomatic options.

The 2003 Iraq invasion, launched under a US-led coalition, had previously marked the most substantial American air build-up in the region in recent decades. The current deployment mirrors the same, even as diplomatic efforts continue to prevent further escalation.

The White House, however, said a little bit of progress was made during talks with Iran this week in Geneva, but distance remained on some issues. It added that Tehran was expected to come back with more details in a couple of weeks.

Source: India Today

Stay connected to Jaano Junction on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Koo. Listen to our Podcast on Spotify or Apple Podcasts.

You are great: US envoy meets PM Modi, gifts him signed photo with Trump's message

From Pony Handler's Son to IIT Madras: Know Kedarnath Boy Atul Kumar's Inspiring Journey

Harihar Kshetra Sonepur Fair Faces Indefinite Closure as Villagers and Shopkeepers Protest License Delay

India strongly condemns civillian deaths in Israel-Hamas conflict, says PM Modi

Renewed drilling begins to rescue 40 men trapped in Indian tunnel for fifth day